Your Citi® Double Cash Card Offers More Consumer Perks Than You May Realize
If you’ve been on the market for a rewards credit card that offers great cash back across the board, you’ve likely come across the Citi® Double Cash card. Without the hassle of revolving categories (it offers 2% on every purchase you make, period) and the expense of an annual fee, this is one piece of plastic worth having in your wallet.
But did you know that this card’s perks don’t stop there? Far from it, in fact… even I was surprised to learn about everything that the Citi® Double Cash will do for its cardholders.
There are a number of great perks that the Citi® Double Cash card offers, just for spending money on the account.
Citi® Price Rewind
This is one of my favorite benefits, though it does require a little bit of work.
The Price Rewind tool will track and search for any available lower prices on items that you have purchased using the card. All you have to do is go online to CitiPriceRewind.com, register your purchases, and wait for account credits. If a better price comes up in the 60 days following your purchase? Cha-ching!
What if you just bought yourself a new laptop and splurged on a pair of sneakers? Simply go online, select those two items, and complete the registration for Price Rewind. The tool will then spend the next 60 days sifting through hundreds of online merchants, including retail stores’ websites, circulars, etc. What if it finds a better price? You’ll get the difference automatically credited back to your account. If you only paid for part of the item with your Double Cash card, you’ll get the lesser of the difference or how much you paid toward the item on your card, with a limit of $500 back per item.
While the tool has an extensive database that it searches, it could potentially miss a lower price somewhere (especially from local or small stores). In that case, simply submit a request for the adjustment manually. All you’ll need is the printed or online ad.
The best part about this perk is that it includes Black Friday deals and door busters! So, start early, figuring out the big specials you want to purchase. Buy them before the crowds, register your purchases, and then request the difference. This alone could save you hundreds.
In fact, you can get a maximum of $2,500 back per calendar year, per account. That’s a huge savings.
Damage & Theft Protection
If you buy an item with your Citi® Double Cash card and it is stolen or damaged within the next 120 days (or 90 days, if you’re in New York), Citi may either repair the item or reimburse you for it. This benefit is limited to the lesser of what you paid with your Citi card or $1,000 per item ($50,000 limit per year).
Citi will automatically add 24 months to the manufacturer’s warranty on items purchased with your Double Cash card. If you choose to purchase an extended warranty directly with the store or manufacturer, Citi’s added warranty period will begin after that one expires.
If an item that you have purchased – in whole or in part – with your Citi® Double Cash card fails, Citi will repair or replace the item or reimburse you for it, up to the amount that you actually charged to the account or $10,000 (whichever is less).
If you buy an item and try to return it within 90 days, but the store refuses to take it back, give Citi a call. They may just refund it for you, up to $300 per item.
In order for this benefit to kick in, you must have paid for the item in full with your Double Cash card. It must be in like-new or good working condition when Citi receives the item back and also include all of its original parts.
The Return Protection benefit is limited to the amount paid with your Double Cash card or $300, whichever is lesser, up to $1,000 per account, per year.
The Citi® Double Cash also comes with a slew of benefits for the traveler, too. Some of these you’ll (hopefully) never have to use, while some of them will be a huge perk on a regular basis.
We’ll go more in-depth on these in a future article, but here’s a rundown of the basic benefits for travelers.
• Car Rental Insurance – If you use your Citi® Double Card to pay for your rental car, and decline the rental company’s collision coverage, Citi will cover up to $50,000 in damages. This applies to rental car agreements of 31 days or less, toward the cost of repairs or the actual cash value of the vehicle.
• Trip Cancellation/Interruption Coverage – If you’re scheduled to take a trip and you (or your spouse, close family members, or even pets) get sick, injured, or die, Citi may reimburse you for up to $3,000 of your trip expenses. This coverage also applies in some instances of severe weather or a natural disaster.
• Travel or Emergency Assistance – No matter where you are in the world, Citi can help you coordinate services and offer referrals for your travel. This is particularly beneficial if you have an emergency situation, especially in a country where you don’t speak the language. Citi can help you coordinate emergency cash transfers, offer information on travel requirements based on specific countries, help locate lost luggage, refer you to local doctors or pharmacies, help replace lost prescriptions, and so much more. The benefit also covers your family members and traveling companions.
• Roadside Assistance Dispatch – If you’re anywhere in the U.S., Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands and have car trouble, Citi will send help your way at no charge. There is a pre-negotiated price for the actual service call, but Citi’s concierge services are complimentary. This benefit includes key lockout, flat tires, jump starts, towing, and even fuel delivery.
• Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance – If an unfortunate occurs and you or your loved ones are injured or killed while traveling with a Common Carrier (paid for with your Double Cash card), Citi will provide up to $250,000 in compensation to your family/families. This benefit has some specifics, so be sure to check out the Citi® Double Cash card information to learn more.
At the end of the day, this credit card offers quite a few more benefits than some of its closest competitors, while still maintaining a high cash back percentage and no annual fee. A few of these perks I didn’t even know about when I signed up for the card, so it’s great to learn about all the coverage for which I’m eligible.
If you’re looking for a great rewards card that can also save you money in the end, you should definitely look into the Citi® Double Cash. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go register my recent mall finds for Price Rewind!